Monday, August 29, 2011

A New Paradigm

Economic Development:  A hot topic to be sure.  Ask any City Councilor, any IDA or LDC member, or the like, and they'll tell you it's one side of the critical equation that will decide Geneva's future.  We've got to grow our economy, or we can hang it up as a community.

Two challenges:  What is it? and How do we do it?  Chances are, if you ask all the people I just mentioned (25+), you'll get a dozen or better answers.  Things like:

  • Job creation
  • Property tax relief
  • Boosting sales tax revenue
  • Attracting new residents
  • More/different businesses

The list goes on and on...The truth is, it's all of those things; and all of the things that contribute to those things...and while we're at it, the things that contribute to...well, you get the point.

Defining Economic Development is much easier than talking about the how.  In previous iterations, the City's Economic Development Office was consolidated with code enforcement officers, planners, grant administrators, and virtually every community development function you could think of.  The Director was forced, in any given day, to deal with an irate landlord who just failed their rental inspection, attend a water quality discussion, review leases for incubator tenants, and process payroll for 7 or 8 staffers.  Doesn't leave much time for business recruitment or retention does it?

The year after we split Economic Development into its own office, and removed the shackles of Code Enforcement and Home Ownership programs, the City spent nearly $200,000 in direct funds on the ED office and partner agencies.  That's not inclusive of the money spent by the Revolving Loan Fund, IDA, Tech Farm, Ontario County, and other partners.

That same year, the City held a summit of over 20 partner agencies.  The group identified dozens of tasks to move the City forward toward a unified economic development vision.  A year later, partners wait in the wings for direction.  Admittedly we have done little to harness the power of these critical and willing agencies.

This week, the City Council will hear representatives from Camoin Associates deliver an analysis of the Geneva market, and an assessment of our Economic Development vision, and our ability to reach our potential.   You can read the proposed strategy here

The short version is this:

1.  Council got the vision right.  Everything we want will drive the market, and is well within our grasp.
2.  It is completely unachievable if "the City" is the lead agency on all aspects.  We must harness the horsepower of our community partners to realize our vision.

Look for strategies on how to accomplish this in October.

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone, I'm Patricia Sherman in Oklahoma USA right now. I would like to share with you my experience of borrowing USD $185,000.00 to clear my bank draft and start a new business. It all started when I lost my house and I took my stuff because of the bank policy and I met some bills and some personal needs. So I became very desperate and started looking for funds in every way. Fortunately for me, a friend of mine, Linda told me about a credit company firm, I was intrigued by the fraud, but I was intrigued by my situation and had no choice but to get advice from my friend about this company. contacting them really doubted me because of my past experience with online lenders, did you know that little? '' Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com This company has been very helpful to me and my colleague and today, thanks to this credit company, the proud owner of well-organized work and responsibilities, they smiled back at me. So if you really need to grow or start your own business, or if you really need to borrow money in any financial hardship, we recommend you find a financial development opportunity in your business today. {E-mail:} Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com ... online for credit not a victim of scam. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete