Thursday, June 16, 2011

Revenue Forecasts

City staff began analyzing potential revenues for 2012 in May.  This can be a difficult exercise to undertake this early in the year, as we have only 1 quarter under our belts to use in forecasting.

Forecast expectations at this point can give us a good springboard to begin prioritizing costs, understanding that they may be refined over the course of the budget process, as more up to date information becomes available.  Items like property taxes are very easy to forecast by this point, as the entire roll has already been billed, and much of the revenue is in by early May. 

Other significant revenue items, like sales tax, are tougher to forecast as they come in throughout the year, and can range fairly significantly depending upon economic conditions.  For these items, we tend to err on the conservative side, especially with only a single quarter under our belt.

As of now, 2012 revenue growth expectations are fairly flat.  Property tax numbers appear to be holding steady, with minor additions to the taxable roll from expiration of PILOTs.  Staff is holding a very conservative sales tax forecast, although first quarter numbers look promising.

Overall, the conservative sales tax forecast has 2012 revenue projections down 3% from 2011 forecasts.  While this should be a significant motivator for the community, Council, and staff to begin prioritizing costs, care should be taken to observe sales tax and other revenue performance prior to cutting too deep.

Preliminary 2012 revenue forecasts can be found here.

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone, I'm Patricia Sherman in Oklahoma USA right now. I would like to share with you my experience of borrowing USD $185,000.00 to clear my bank draft and start a new business. It all started when I lost my house and I took my stuff because of the bank policy and I met some bills and some personal needs. So I became very desperate and started looking for funds in every way. Fortunately for me, a friend of mine, Linda told me about a credit company firm, I was intrigued by the fraud, but I was intrigued by my situation and had no choice but to get advice from my friend about this company. contacting them really doubted me because of my past experience with online lenders, did you know that little? '' Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com This company has been very helpful to me and my colleague and today, thanks to this credit company, the proud owner of well-organized work and responsibilities, they smiled back at me. So if you really need to grow or start your own business, or if you really need to borrow money in any financial hardship, we recommend you find a financial development opportunity in your business today. {E-mail:} Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com ... online for credit not a victim of scam. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete